You Are Here: Home » Politics » Rick Perry’s Plea For Prayer

Rick Perry’s Plea For Prayer

by Rick Upshaw on April 26, 2011

I’d like to turn aside for a moment from my usual blogging subjects to write a little about an ongoing emergency in Texas, which prompted a proclamation from Texas Governor Rick Perry regarding the Texas wildfires and the devastation the wildfires are causing throughout the state.

As I write this, all but two counties in Texas have been affected by the wildfires.  More than 1,000,000 acres of our land have been devastated by the deadly fires.  Governor Perry has called upon President Obama to declare Texas a national disaster area, but so far, there has been no response from our president, who seems more concerned about his presidential campaign than the well-being of Texas voters.

Governor Perry wrote his strongly-worded letter to President Obama asking for a federal emergency declaration on April 16th.  Such a declaration from the president would free up federal cash and resources to fight the Texas wildfires, which are happening during what may very well be the worst wildfire season in the history of Texas.

Governor Perry writes:

“I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the state.”

It’s been 10 days since Governor Perry wrote that letter to our president, but there has been no response from President Obama.  Where is our president?  He’s on the road promoting his reelection campaign, which is apparently far more important to Obama than protecting Texas, a predominantly Republican state in which he lost badly during the last presidential election.

In an email, FEMA spokesman Bradley Carroll said Rick Perry’s request for a statewide disaster declaration is “under review”.  He also noted that in cases of natural disasters such as wildfires, the first responders are local emergency personnel, volunteers, humanitarian organizations, and private groups – a fact which Governor Perry acknowledged in his letter to Obama.  However, as stated above, Governor Perry made it clear that despite the best efforts of all of these organizations, it’s not enough! I have to say that I’m wondering… which part of “it’s not enough” don’t you people understand???  I have therefore come to the conclusion that, based on our president’s actions during our disaster, it appears that while Texas land, homes and businesses literally burn to the ground, our president prefers that we all focus on helping him meet his 1 billion dollar fund-raising goal.  Have I missed something?

In the absence of any support from “The Anointed One” or anyone else in the federal government, Rick Perry issued the following  gubernatorial proclamation:

WHEREAS, the state of Texas is in the midst of an exceptional drought, with some parts of the state receiving no significant rainfall for almost three months, matching rainfall deficit records dating back to the 1930s; and

Texas Governor Rick Perry Asks For Prayer Rick Perrys Plea For PrayerWHEREAS, a combination of higher than normal temperatures, low precipitation and low relative humidity has caused an extreme fire danger over most of the State, sparking more than 8,000 wildfires which have cost several lives, engulfed more than 1.8 million acres of land and destroyed almost 400 homes, causing me to issue an ongoing disaster declaration since December of last year; and

WHEREAS, these dire conditions have caused agricultural crops to fail, lake and reservoir levels to fall and cattle and livestock to struggle under intense stress, imposing a tremendous financial and emotional toll on our land and our people; and

WHEREAS, throughout our history, both as a state and as individuals, Texans have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer; it seems right and fitting that the people of Texas should join together in prayer to humbly seek an end to this devastating drought and these dangerous wildfires;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas. I urge Texans of all faiths and traditions to offer prayers on that day for the healing of our land, the rebuilding of our communities and the restoration of our normal way of life.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto signed my name and have officially caused the Seal of State to be affixed at my Office in the City of Austin, Texas, this the 21st day of April, 2011.

RICK PERRY

Governor of Texas

Read the official press release from Governor Perry’s office here:

*********

Texas Under Siege

Make no mistake, My Friends.  Our Beloved Texas is under siege by Mother Nature herself, and indeed by our own president by his lack of action.  Our president is all too willing to sit by and watch Texas burn to the ground while we spend billions overseas helping others!  What’s wrong with this picture?  Isn’t American supposed to be the first priority of our president?  Isn’t that why we hired this guy?  Where is the hope this man promised?  I don’t know about you, but I’m sure not seeing it!

I ask any and all who may be reading this to join me in prayer and support for my home state of Texas, and indeed, for our president, who has apparently given in to the temptation of sacrificing his humanity to be our president.  Our God is a god of miracles, so I am quite certain that He can work His wonders in our state (and in the president’s heart) during this time of tragedy and need.

On a more personal note, I would also like to humbly offer Rick Perry himself some praise and support.  I know that an offer of support and positive comments from Rick Upshaw, one average Texan who happened to have voted for him, might not mean much to Governor Perry.  I can only hope that it would matter to him if he’s half the man I think he is, and that his actions on this matter suggest that he is.  In today’s “politically correct” society, it takes a certain strength of character to stand up for what you know to be right, especially when it’s not necessarily the politically correct thing to do.  Regardless of your own personal religious beliefs, I respectfully suggest to you, Dear Readers,  that Governor Perry should have your respect and admiration for having the strength of character to stand up for what he believes to be right.  I hope you agree.

May God Bless The Great State Of Texas!

Amen!!!

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Accountants in Quezon City April 26, 2011 at 5:46 am

Truly, truly tragic. Apparently American politics is becoming more and more like politics everywhere else in the world, such as here in the Philippines! Your president ought to be ashamed of himself, Mr. Upshaw!

Rick Upshaw April 26, 2011 at 5:51 am

Since I have spent a great deal of time in the Philippines myself, I would have to agree. Many Philippines nationals often complain about how corrupt politics is in the Philippines. However, I’m sad to say that it’s not looking much better in America – at least, not anymore.

As a child, I remember adults encouraging kids to become a senator or even president, and how honorable it was to aspire to be in politics! Does anyone remember that? Not anymore! Now they are simply the butt of jokes about how corrupt they are, and how much they lack character.

God help us all, and may God save the United States of American from its own short-sightedness!

Sam Talbot April 26, 2011 at 5:56 am

I agree, Mr. Upshaw. I saw this coming many years ago, which is why I don’t live in my home country anymore. The United States I love so much just doesn’t exist anymore!

I truly enjoy reading your posts, Mr. Upshaw. I hope you’ll continue to write about this and other subjects!

Rick Upshaw April 26, 2011 at 5:59 am

Thanks, Sam! I’m not sure how much good it will do, but I am obviously very passionate about this subject, so I’m sure you’ll see more soon.

Thanks for following my blog, Sam, and for participating in the discussion! I truly appreciate it!

Rick Upshaw

Susan Cromer April 26, 2011 at 8:47 am

Rick, kudos to you for writing such an eloquent blog on the sad state of affairs in Texas. Indeed, it appears we must rely on our faith and prayers to put out the fires. I admire Governor Perry for standing up for what he believes is right. We need more leaders who are not afraid to do the same. God Bless Texas!

Rick Upshaw April 27, 2011 at 10:57 am

Thanks, Susan! Great seeing you here!

Bridget April 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

And rain we did get, and as of today the fires are almost all contained thanks to all the hard-working fire-fighters and volunteers from across the US and NO THANKS to Mr. Obama!

Rick Upshaw April 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hi Bridget! Thanks for your participation in this discussion! Glad to see you here! :-)

I’m glad to hear that we finally got some rain. I’m not in Texas at the moment, but plan to be back soon. I was beginning to wonder if there would be much left to come home to! Thank God for the rain while Obama “had more important things to do”, like taping a show on Oprah and three fund-raising stops! I’m sure that Texas will appreciate knowing where they stand on Obama’s priority list!

Kaaren April 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’m not surprised the President has ignored us after what the Texas interviewer did to him. Brad Watson, the political correspondent of WFAA-TV in Dallas, had the audacity to contradict the President and point out that he lost in Texas by 10%. Obama knows Texas is a lost state for him in 2012. It is not his intention, I presume, to help this conservative state. We love our Texas.

Rick Upshaw April 30, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I think Fox News also showed that interview. Fox didn’t show the whole interview, because they were focusing on what happened after the interview. The guy was scolded by the president for supposedly not letting him finish his answers. From what little I saw, though, it looked like Obama was, in fact, able to respond pretty well, and that Obama just didn’t like being pinned to the wall about the points being made by the interviewer.

It’s too bad that we have a president willing to let Texans suffer in retaliation for one interviewers actions just because Obama didn’t like not getting his way. And remember, this is the same guy who was going to unite us all! Remember?

May God save Texas from Obama’s wrath!

sandy May 5, 2011 at 8:30 am

Didn’t Mr. Perry say before that Texas didn’t need or want government help and he wanted to secede from the US? Just saying.

Rick Upshaw June 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Hi Sandy,

My understanding is that the statement to which you refer was taken out of context. However, I’d like to see a video on that or some kind of article that quotes him in the context of everything he said, so if you have a link to any of that, by all means, please share it here and we’ll definitely take a look at it!

Thanks for your participation!

Regards,

Rick Upshaw

cevon July 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Special thanks to Rick Upshaw for this great post. I’ll be coming back here more often!

Carol September 3, 2011 at 9:47 am

Rick Upshaw has put together a very nice website here!

If I may, i suggest that a forum would be a nice addition to the site, so that we can talk and communicate about the subjects Mr. Upshaw brings up!

Admin September 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hello, Carol, and thank you for your comment!

We will certainly advise Mr. Upshaw of your comment! Actually, he has been considering a forum for some time. If more readers ask for it, it’s likely he would make that happen for you.

Thanks again!

Charmaine September 8, 2011 at 3:50 am

Missy, those wildfires started in Texas and have been uncontrolled for over 260 days…and there my be an occasional 53rd Thursday on your Greek calender, but not ALL calenders. ***EDITED BY MODERATOR***.

Ever September 8, 2011 at 3:52 am

Um, yeah, he’s right. Obama with-held support for Texas initially, and would not declare it a disaster area, purportedly because Texas is a Republican state. That, and the fact that Gov Perry was being ignored over border security (he had asked over and over for troops on the ground), was the reason he refused to meet Obama’s plane when he visited Texas in May. It was all over the news at the time.

Funny September 8, 2011 at 3:54 am

Sounds like this administration has it in for Republicans!!!! Ya think????? Also going after Gibson guitars for illegal “wood”? Gibson has been around for decades and THEY are being singled out for illegal wood? Obama and his “czars” are selectively “harrassing” known Republican supporters. It’s the Chicago Thugocracy at work. Instead of worring about “illegal wood”, why don’t they focus on Fast & Furious and the some 1,800 weapons that are still “floating” around in Mexico with the cartels??? Lives are in jeopardy and they worry about “illegal wood”?

Janete September 8, 2011 at 4:05 am

The point is if you reduce your firefighters and police and teachers and government…your ability to react and fight the fires is REDUCED! One guy lighting a BBQ grill and causing a fire can be handled if you have a stable system! This has been in the works for weeks!! the response was slow! Its hard to respond to an State Wide emergency when your advocating cuts to these very same state wide respones that will save you! Thank you But no thank you? I bet he took this stimulus fema program now..

Rick Upshaw September 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Well said, Janete. Regarding Rick Perry, I have to admit that in recent weeks (when it started looking like Perry might run for President), I started taking a look at Rick Perry’s record. It seems that the only time Mr. Perry does anything of note – one way or another – is around election time, or when he has a book for sale! Although I am a tried and true Texan, there are other candidates running on the GOP side that have a much stronger record than Rick Perry.

Of particular note is Rick Perry taking credit for growing jobs in Texas. I don’t think this is right. Jobs are growing in Texas; that’s true, but not because of Rick Perry. He just happened to be there at the time. If he wants to take credit on this issue for simply staying out of the way and letting Texas businesses do their thing, that’s probably fair. However, anything more than that is just not an honest thing for Mr. Perry to do. If he continues taking credit for that, I hope and pray that he is exposed for that kind of dishonesty before the GOP makes a grave mistake nominating him!

Thanks again for your participation in this discussion, Janete! Great job! :-)

Rick Upshaw

Hope September 10, 2011 at 3:57 am

Deregulate!! Cut The Emergency Services By Billions!!! WE dont Need Government! WE need Less Government!! Cut the Emergency Services..police.. firefighters…By Billions of dollors!!! and the very next summer….the whole state is on fire and going out of control… Texas has been burning for weeks!! they didnt have enough to stop it all..and now its gone out of control!! Looks bad when u cut everything trying to show the politicians in washington how its done…and suddenly cause and effect takes place…there is an emergency and its now going out of control!

Rick Upshaw September 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm

@Hope…

I may be wrong, but I don’t think that’s an accurate representation of Rick Perry’s position, Hope. Even though I am most certainly a conservative, I am no big fan of Rick Perry. It seems the only time you ever hear from him is around election time, or when he wants something, in my humble opinion. Otherwise, I don’t see him out front leading on anything. However, that being said, the point of my post is not about how great Rick Perry is. It’s about the double-standard coming from Obama’s government. His administration was Johnny on the spot for other recent tragedies in America. They just couldn’t wait to help. However, when Texas was burning and Texans looked to Obama to keep his word, Obama was MIA. It is this kind of hypacracy from Obama that has proven him to be one of the most divisive presidents in American history.

Rick Upshaw

Gil September 16, 2011 at 3:56 am

I really would prefer that his handlers keep him inside the beltway, we don’t need him in our great state where he has done so much damage through his perceived save the earth policies and his promotion of the use of foreign oil to the detrement of our state and our nation. Isn’t he doing just a bit too much to increase American dependence on mus lim controlled oil supplies?

Rick Upshaw September 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm

@Gil…

If you are referring to Obama, I would tend to agree. Yes, Obama’s incredibly liberal and reckless policies regarding foreign oil as well as his continued restriction on domestic production are crippling our economy and causing more dependence on foreign oil. He is speaking out of both sides of his mouth. While he us doling out billions to green companies allgedly to promote the green sector in America, it appears that he is doing everything he can to keep gasoline at the most highest levels in history. The man is a communist and a traitor!

God save us from Obamunism!

Rick Upshaw